The McKenna Cross stands in the Old Donagh Graveyard, 3.5Km from Emyvale and 1Km
from Glaslough. It dates from the 12th century and is almost 7ft. In height. According
to local tradition it was in the shadow of this Cross that the McKenna chieftains
were inaugurated as Leaders of their Clann. It was obviously deliberately knocked
down by ‘the Planters’ of the early 17th century and lay buried in the ground until
discovered by a member of the Leslie family c.1830. It was knocked or blown down
again at a later date and again lay buried until 1910, when it was re-discovered
by Sir Shane Leslie, who had it erected in its present location. The stem appears
short but actually stands 6ft. 2ins. In height. A concrete collar of 18ins. Surrounds
the lower part of the stem, keeping the two broken parts together.
To the left is the McKenna Grave, which is in Donagh Old Graveyard. Many of the McKenna
Chieftains are buried here. Here Seamus McCluskey acts as tour guide for a visit
of the McKenna Clan. In the foreground is the stump, regarded as the original site
of the McKenna Cross. It is now referred to as - ‘The Wart Well’ as locals claim
that the water trapped in the stump cures warts.
ClickHERE to view a Map of McKenna Country. Click HERE for Cecelia McKenna’s
Visits Click HERE for the New Chieftain. Click HERE for McKenna
Click HERE for McKenna History Night Click HERE for McKenna descendants
Click HERE for McKennas from Chile Click HERE for Don Juan Memory.
Click HERE for McKanna Visit Clans Meet The President
McKenna Visitor HERENews from Clann McKenna
New Chieftain of Clann HEREAward for Benny McKenna
... HERE Regis McKenna Visit .... HEREMcKenna Clan Exhibition
2018 ... HERE